Why have all the roads and cities in Georgia disappeared from Google Maps and Google Earth?

by Jon Thompson on August 12, 2008

Someone named pluke over at Reddit just made the very astute observation that all roads and cities in the country of Georgia have disappeared from Google Maps.  When I fire up Google Earth, sure enough, there are no roads and no cities.  The same is true for Armenia and Azerbaijan.

Let the wild speculation begin.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

{ 5 trackbacks }

Crisis Mapping the Conflict in Georgia (Updated) « iRevolution
August 12, 2008 at 1:34 pm
Google never posted map data for Georgia. Will they? « Aid Worker Daily
August 12, 2008 at 5:49 pm
Missing Georgia data sets explained by Google Maps/Earth team « Aid Worker Daily
August 13, 2008 at 5:14 am
Some data now available for Georgia in Google Earth « Aid Worker Daily
August 18, 2008 at 8:02 am
New data for Georgia in Google Earth « Aid Worker Daily
September 5, 2008 at 1:02 am

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

Patrick Philippe Meier August 12, 2008 at 2:59 pm

Thanks for the heads up on this, Jon, just forwarded your post to a colleague at CNN, may go on air soon.

Corey August 12, 2008 at 4:58 pm

I just heard from a colleague at Google that they never existed in the first place–Google never had a roads layer for Georgia.

A retroactive conspiracy? We may never know.

Patrick Philippe Meier August 12, 2008 at 4:59 pm

Jon, according to a colleague at Google, they never had a roads layer for Georgia. “They didn’t disappear, they were just never there.”

Jon August 12, 2008 at 5:55 pm

Thanks much for the clarifications. I just posted on the issue.
Jon

Phil August 13, 2008 at 11:56 am

I know for a fact that your info is wrong. Ive been observing this situation since it has started and the roads info stopped showing up monday. I was specifically following the roads on google earth as it played out.

Jon August 13, 2008 at 4:06 pm

Phil-
Many thanks for your comment. So, you are saying that the info was in fact there but that it was pulled? That would contradict the official word from Google.
Cheers,
Jon

Phil August 13, 2008 at 4:30 pm

Jon – I can’t make statements like the “information was pulled”. I dont know what happened, when all this was happening I checked it on google earth and yes, I did check out the roads. They have not been available since monday for me. Pulled or other reason I dont know. I know I am not the only one that has been observing this. Phil

Billy August 18, 2008 at 10:18 pm

I also saw the Georgia roads on Google when fighting broke out and then they disappeared.

I know what I saw. I wanted to find out where South Ossetia was, etc. When I looked it was like a separate country. Now you have to do a search to find it and it is within the Georgia boundaries.

maddoc August 21, 2008 at 7:50 pm

same here. i looked at south ossetia last week on google maps. was looking at the major cities after reading the news stories. now its all gone. google says it was never there, they are lying.